If you have experienced an equity diversity and inclusion (EDI) incident whilst on our programmes, please know that there is support available for you.  

Internal support includes: 
  • Your Support Network - depending on the programme you are on, you will have been assigned either a Development Lead or an Achievement Partner. They have been given training on managing EDI incidents and will be able to ensure you get the right support. For example, if you have been unable to focus on a piece of work, they can help you with extension requests, or they could co-develop a Support Plan with you.

  • Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) - the EAP provides a free confidential 24-hour helpline providing support with stress and anxiety, counselling, family issues, bereavement, financial wellbeing, childcare support, relationship advice, legal information, medical information, tenancy and housing concerns, alcohol and drug issues and consumer issues. Teach First will not know that you have used this service.  There is a short video providing further information available here

  • You can access the EAP by: 
    • downloading  the free app: My Healthy Advantage using HA155380 to register.  
    • visit www.healthassuredeap.com - the log-in is: TeachFirst and HA155380. 
    • contact 0800 028 0199 and quote Teach First Trainee/Programme Member or HA155380.  
    • Please note that as the service is offered to you as a Teach First  programme member rather than an employee when you call they may ask for your ‘employer’ details – instead of naming your employer please state you are a trainee / programme member on the Teach First Training Programme/NPQ Programme/Academic Mentoring Programme/Leading Together Programme. If there is any confusion at all you can reference our policy number HA155380 from the outset. 

There is also external support available to you: 
  • External Support on Report and Support  - There are a number of articles about specific EDI incidents and support relating to these available on the 'Support' section of the Report and Support site.  Alternatively, these are listed in the 'Other Support Available' section.

  • Trade Unions - If the incident happened in your employment school or involves an employment matter, a trade union can support you. A trade union is an organisation  with members who are usually workers or employees and they seek to look after their interests at work. Most trade unions can usually only help you once you've became a member. 

  • The main education unions are: 
  • Many trade unions will also have a number of self organised networks that focus on workers from a particular protected characteristic. For example, pregnant workers or Black, ethnic minority (BME) workers. These networks can be a source of support and guidance. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened